Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Paterson: Book Four, Chapter III, p. 190-92











The Haitian President to His Women, on the Sight of Swallows Flocking in the Waters off Fort Dauphin

Quite often from my house, I see swallows
moving in a wide sweep over the harbor
as one, the denseness of them somehow
flat and twisting as a loose ribbon or
flag might, if wrested from its mooring and
blown haphazardly in rough gusts of wind.
It is the sameness of motion that most
delights me; the hundred bodies turning
in tight unison, wrapping around ghosts
of invisible up-drafts now churning
in the late day heat of the western shore -
and with them, a lone thought rises, and sings:
my beauty is in this rushing chorus,
this doubled beating of separate wings.

KMC 10-24-06

2 comments:

brd said...

Bravo! Bravo! Bravo! Bravo! Bravo!
This is the soul. This is the life of the spirit. And you have done it, said it, condensed it into 14 lines of 10 syllables. Amazing.

brd said...

I can't understand why no one else has commented about this really swell poem, but it has haunted me to the point that I have located the music to go with it.

No, I did not compose it but it is perfect music.

It is John Adams', Shaker Loops #4 entitled "A Final Shaking." Read very slowly, appropriate for the minimalist music that it is, the poem works incredibly well with the music. In my reading practice, I closed the poem with a reprise of the line, "And with them, a lone thought rises, and sings."