Saturday, September 23, 2006

Paterson: Book Four, Chapter III, p. 186-7















A song is now available for this poem on the Internet Archive!

The Murder of the Dutchman Jonafen Haring

Something's in
with the horses.
I hear it,
rising up
from dawn.

You will look
As you always look.

The sound of you
on cold steps
down and across
and so briefly in snow;
crunch, I listen
I listen
for you.

And then the
beating of hooves
the beating
of hooves
the beat-
ing of
hooves
on stone.
-------
Through the silence
of strangers
and torches
(four tories,
their judas)

past the entry
of my house
to horses
in darkness
away;

through waiting
on footsteps
in the hall,

a cold thought
will penetrate:

there is no virgin
beginning.

KMC 9-22-06

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Umph. (You should interpret this as the sound of someone getting punched in the stomach. Very nice; beautiful, in fact, in that "umph" way.)

IBifficus said...

I just wrote a scorching coda for this song...very Sufjan-esque in rhythm. I'll carry through my earlier melodies to the end of the song and on virgin beginning start this freakin' awsome a-d-f-e-c chord progression. I'm actually pretty stoked about it.